Step 4.2: Provide training
Provide training for health professionals.
4.2 Training Activities
The Cochrane Review of Interventions to Increase Adoption of Shared Decision Making found that when health professionals participated in education, they were more likely to use patient decision aids and share decision making with patients. The following are evidence and theory-based educational programs developed and evaluated by our research program.
- Ottawa Decision Support Tutorial (ODST)
The ODST is an online tutorial based on the Ottawa Decision Support Framework and designed to help health professionals further develop their knowledge and skills in providing decision support. The ODST features:
- Self-paced learning
- Self-assessment quizzes with tailored feedback at the end of each section
- Criterion-referenced final test
- Certificate of Completion (for scores of 75% or more on the final test)
- Downloadable PDF version of online reading
- Video example of the Shared Decision Making (SDM) process
Click here to watch Canadian videos illustrating a shared decision-making process in a medical encounter regarding:
- Use of antibiotics for upper respiratory tract infection
- Prenatal testing for Down Syndrome
- Video example of an Interprofessional approach to shared decision making for decision about location of care for frail elderly — Should I stay in my home or move?
Click here to watch British videos illustrating 'standard' encounters compared to an 'enhanced' shared decision making process in a medical encounter regarding:
- Renal failure
- Changes to a drug regime
- Making a request to leave the psychiatric ward
- Stress incontinence
- Shoulder injury
- Breast cancer
- Well man check
- Interprofessional Shared Decision Making (IP-SDM) Skill-Building Workshop
Based on the key elements of the IP-SDM conceptual model, this 3-hour workshop aims to build skills in considering team-based approach to involving patients in the decision making process, assessing patients' decisional needs, using evidence- and theory-based interventions to support or coach patients making decisions, self-appraising the quality of decision support, and exploring ways to implement decision support. If you are interested in the workshop please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for information on availability and cost. Findings from multiple studies show that health professionals who participate in the workshop have improved skills (compared to baseline scores and when compared to control groups).
- Inventory of Shared Decision Making Programs for Healthcare Professionals Created by France Légaré as part of the "Effective Continuing Professional Development for Translating Shared Decision Making in Primary Care" project funded by the Canadian Institutes for Health Research.
- Credit Courses in Decision Making
- University of Ottawa: NSG 6133 - Decision Making in Clinical Practice
- Curriculum-Based Tools
Integrating Patient Decision Support in Curriculum
Stepwise series of lectures, problem-based case scenarios, and assignments that can be embedded as a thread across a curriculum for health professionals.
Examples of additional resources
- Légaré F, Politi MC, Drolet R, Desroches S, Stacey D, Bekker H; the SDM-CPD team. (2012). Training health professionals in shared decision-making: An international environmental scan. Patient Educ Couns. 2012 Aug;88(2):159-169. Epub 2012 Feb 1.
- Murray MA, Stacey D, Wilson KG, O'Connor AM. (2010). Skills training to support patients considering place of end-of-life care: a randomized control trial. J Palliat Care. 26(2):112-21.
- Stacey D, Higuchi KA, Menard P, Davies B, Graham ID, O'Connor AM. (2009). Integrating patient decision support in an undergraduate nursing curriculum: An implementation project. Int J Nurs Educ Scholarsh. 6(1):Article10.
- Stacey D, Chambers SK, Jacobsen MJ, Dunn J. (2008). Overcoming barriers to cancer-helpline professionals providing decision support for callers: An implementation study. Oncol Nurs Forum. 35(6):961-9.
- Stacey D, O'Connor AM, Graham ID, Pomey MP. (2006). Randomized controlled trial of the effectiveness of an intervention to implement evidence-based patient decision support in a nursing call centre. J Telemed Telecare. 12(8):410-5.
Last modified: 2023-02-13.