Archive of Ottawa Decision Aids
The following patient decision aids were developed in Ottawa and are only available in our archives. Given they are out-of-date (published >5 years ago), they should no longer be used to guide decisions in clinical practice. For more information regarding these decision aids, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Learn about our methods for developing decision aids.
- The Cochrane Musculoskeletal Review Group
has developed the following patient decision aids using evidence from Cochrane systematic reviews. (2011)
- What are my options for managing hip or knee osteoarthritis?
- Should I have transcutaneous electrostimulation (TENS) for osteoarthritis (OA) in my knee?
- Should I have ultrasound treatment for osteoarthritis (OA) in my knee?
- Should I take alendronate (Fosamax®) for osteoporosis?
- Should I take Etidronate (Didronel®) for osteoporosis?
- Should I take Risedronate (Actonel®) for osteoporosis?
- Should I take abatacept (Orencia®) for rheumatoid arthritis?
- Should I take etanercept (Enbrel®) for rheumatoid arthritis?
- Should I take tocilizumab (Actemra®) for rheumatoid arthritis?
- Should I take methotrexate (Rheumatrex®) for rheumatoid arthritis?
- I have never taken medication for rheumatoid arthritis before. Should I take methotrexate (Rheumatrex®) alone or with other diseasemodifying anti-rheumatic drugs for rheumatoid arthritis?
- When you need extra care, should you receive it at home or in a facility? (2010)
- Decision Aid for Adult Cystic Fibrosis Patient Considering Bilateral Lung Transplantation (2010)
- Should My Child Have a Second Cochlear Implant? (2009 reviewed 2015)
- What can you do to prevent HPV and cervical cancer? A decision aid for parents/guardians of girls in Grade 8 in Ontario (2009)
- Making Choices: The Use of Intubation and Mechanical Ventilation for Severe Chronic Pulmonary Disease (2008)
- Ottawa Influenza Decision Aid (OIDA): What can you do to prevent influenza? A decision aid for those working in a healthcare setting. (2008)
- Making Choices: Long Term Feeding Tube Placement in Elderly Patients. (2001 updated 2008)
- Should you take traditional non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) or Cox2 inhibitors for osteoarthritis? (2005)
- Bone/Muscle Conditions (2003): First published in the BMJ book
- Ankylosing spondylitis: Should I take biologic agents such as infliximab or etanercept?
- Gout: Should I take non-steroidal anti-imflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)?
- Should you take steroids and immunosuppressive agents for lupus kidney disease?
- Osteoporosis: Should I take Alendronate?
- Osteoporosis: Should I take Etidronate?
- Osteoporosis: Should I take hormone replacement therapy (HRT)?
- Should you take calcium channel blockers for Raynaud's from scleroderma?
- Should you take a combination of DMARDs for rheumatoid arthritis?
- Rheumatoid arthritis: Should I take infliximab?
- Rheumatoid arthritis: Should I take methotrexate?
- Scleroderma: Should I take methotrexate?
- Shoulder pain in rotator cuff disease: Should I have a steroid injection?
- Tennis elbow: Should I have a steroid injection?
- Vasculitis: Should I switch to azathioprine after going into remission with cyclophosphamide?
- Making Choices: Osteoporosis Treatment Options (2002)
- Making Choices: Life Changes to Lower Your Risk of Heart Disease and Stroke (2001)
- Making Choices: Care at Home or Admission to a Care Facility (2000)
- Becoming Involved in the Decisions You Face: A Guide for Women with Breast Cancer (2000)
- Making Choices: Prenatal Testing (1999)
- Making Choices: Options for Lowering My Risk of Breast Cancer (1999)
- Making Choices: Blood Transfusion in Heart Surgery (1999)
- Making decisions about the removal of my breast cancer: What Do I Prefer? (1998)
- Making Choices: Treatment of Stage IV (metastatic) Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (1997)
- Making Choices: Treatments to Prevent Stroke in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation (1996)
Last modified: 2021-03-11.